Do You Want to Enjoy Your Outdoor Living Space All Year Long?
Three of the most enjoyable words in the English language: “Let’s stay home.” According to experts, more people are looking for recreational options that can be enjoyed without leaving the house. HGTV calls this trend, “a desire to cocoon”–acknowledging the rise in popularity of outdoor living spaces that can be used year-round. How’s that possible in snowy climates? Here are 5 ideas:
1. Enclose the space. While glass won’t do much to bring warmth to your outdoor space (thank goodness for portable heaters!), it will protect it from the elements and allow you to enjoy the benefits of natural light during the dark winter months.
2. Add a roof. While building a patio cover is a big project, it pays off with extended use in the cooler months. Bonus: Patio covers also block out the sun during the hot summer months–providing a seasonal win/win.
3. Start a fire. Outdoor fireplaces and fire pits are practical and recreational. They now outrank patio grills in popularity! And with hundreds of design options, they fit in nearly any budget.
4. Hit the floor. Heated floors do wonders to improve outdoor patios. Add some pillows, blankets, and candles, and your guests won’t even realize it’s cold outside.
5. Blur the lines. Sometimes winterizing the outdoor space is as simple as bringing indoor comforts outside. Lay a rug, hang a curtain, or add a canopy! Sliding doors and a weatherized floor can go a long way in creating a spot you can enjoy all year.
But hurry! Old Man Winter is on his way.